top of page

Match Report - U12 Boys Division 1

Mac Dara 2-4 Kinvara United

A long winter and twelve weeks after the team's fifth league match the players and management were really looking forward to a game. A late change of venue meant that Kinvara were travelling to Carraroe to play on their astro. The evening before the match the travelling party was confirmed as 9 players for a 9 a side match so no subs. Everyone arrived early for the midday KO. The day was dry but cold with a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch.

Kinvara lost the first battle of the day, but the home captain decided to take the kick off. Kinvara’s captain, Emmett decided to put the wind to his teams back and play with it force behind them for the first half. Both teams took a few minutes to get into the game. Once Kinvara settled, the pattern of the first half emerged. A ball over the top from Dean, created the first chance for Emmett with him hitting the post. The MacDara keeper was the busier during the first half and the deadlock was broken when Morgan tapped in after excellent attacking play on the left wing from Emmett for Kinvara to go 1-0 up.

After multiple corners, a perfect delivery from Brian, was headed hard and true by Tadgh for Kinvara’s second. A few minutes later, Daragh picked up a clearance and zigged one way, zagged the other, zigged again and bang – fired off an unstoppable shot into the back of the net for his first goal of the season. His mum was buzzing on the side-line and as luck would have it, Nora caught the event on video. A few minutes before half time Dean won back the ball in midfield, fired a quick ball forward to Morgan, who, took one positive touch, turned and placed a low hard shot into the corner, a top quality strikers finish. 4-0 for Kinvara but the wind had picked up as the half time whistle sounded.

The second half was completely different than the first. A mix-up at the back lead to a goal for MacDara. 4-1 and only a few minutes into the second half. With no subs it was going to be a long 30 minute half. After the goal, Kinvara settled and pushed up the field. Jamie in goals, Aidan, Louis and Tadhg in defence were busy and had to show all their defensive skills. Aidan was letting no one past, winning position and passing the ball up the left wing. Louis was winning the ball back on the right and driving the team back up the field. MacDara came forward in waves and for a few minutes it looked like Kinvara would be overrun. Tadgh was linking up well with Brian, who in the holding midfield role was preventing and breaking up attacks. The game opened up and both teams created chances but Jamie in Kinvara’s goal and the MacDara keeper were not to be beaten and showed what an asset a good keeper is to a team.

With a few minutes left, Jamie came out of goals and swapped with Dean in centre midfield. He immediately got on the ball and helped the team with some fresh legs in the middle. At the end, a corner cleared to the edge of the square was sent high into the Kinvara net by MacDara which turned out to be the last kick of the game. 3 more points and a tired team headed off for the long journey home. Thanks to MacDara for a sporting match and sorting out the match referee.

Kinvara team: Jamie Kavanagh (Gk), Louis Darabi, Tadhg Fallon, Aidan Burke, Daragh Cooper, Brian Cassidy O’Máirtín, Dean Corcoran, Emmett Hawkins (C), Morgan Waterhouse.

Team coaches: David Hawkins, Padraig O’Máirtín and Nuala Cooper.

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page